Institutional Review Board - Human Subject (IRB)
IRBs are federally required to review and approve human subject research before it is initiated by NKU faculty, staff and students. NKU has an IRB committee on campus with a diverse group of members appointed by President Votruba.
Please Plan Ahead
The IRB members who review your IRB application are faculty who are employed full time in different departments at the University. Although the IRB committee sets a goal of initially responding within ten business days/two weeks, that response may be delayed by the volume of IRB applications currently under review and the workload of the individual reviewers.
Federal guidelines also require researchers to complete training prior to initiating research. For more information on the training or to go to the NKU CITI web page.
This page contains information to assist you in all aspects of the IRB process including how to complete an application, components of a consent form and frequently asked questions. Please familiarize yourself with this information before initiating the IRB process if you have not done so before.
IRB APPLICATION FORMS
HELPFUL TEMPLATES AND EXAMPLES
- Example of Informed Consent-Teacher Education (pdf)
- Example of Informed Consent- Teacher Education (pdf)
- Example of Informed Consent- Anonymous with Interview (pdf)
HELPFUL TIPS AND GUIDES
- Guide for Completing the IRB application (pdf)
- Guide for Developing an Informed Consent (pdf)
- Guide for Developing Recruiting Announcements -- Bulletin Board, Classroom (pdf)
IRB POLICY AND PROCEDURES
IRB GENERAL INFORMATION
- IRB Summary and Process (pdf)
- IRB Committee Members
- Federal Wide Assurances (pdf)
- NKU IRB Training & Education Requirements Information (pdf)
- IRB CITI Training Requirements
- Exempt Research Categories & Descriptions (pdf)
- Class Project or Research: What's the Difference? (pdf)
- IRB Monthly Meeting Schedule
NURSING IRB INFORMATION
- Advanced Nursing Graduate Studies Research Projects (pdf)
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare (SEH) Reciprocal Agreement Research Information (pdf)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC) Reciprocal Research Information (pdf)
- The Christ Hospital (TCH) Reciprocal Research Information (pdf)
- What is the estimated turnaround time for an IRB review?
- Where do I submit my IRB for review?
- Who will review my IRB?
- What is CITI Training?
- What documents should be attached to my IRB application?
- Do I need signatures on my revised application being submitted as a reply to reviewer comments?
- How do I make changes to an approved IRB?
- Do I need to use the stamped consent form approved by the IRB?
For more information, contact Maria Stivers, IRB Administrator at 859-572-5168 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Nunn Drive, AC 724, Highland Heights, KY 41099