We have recently been experiencing technical issues with our web software which has affected both our webpages and links to documents. If for any reason you are unable to access a link or document please contact Maria Stivers at 859-572-5168 or Audrey Ostendorf at 859-572-6017 for immediate assistance.
Research with Human Subjects
The NKU Institutional Review Board (IRB) is federally required to review and approve human subject research before it is initiated by NKU faculty, staff and students. NKU has an IRB committee on campus with a diverse group of members appointed by President Mearns.
Please Plan Ahead
The IRB members who review your IRB application are faculty who are employed full time in different departments at the University. Although the IRB committee sets a goal of initially responding within ten business days/two weeks, that response may be delayed by the volume of IRB applications currently under review and the workload of the individual reviewers.
Federal guidelines also require researchers to complete training prior to initiating research. For more information on the training please visit the NKU CITI web page.
All the subsequent links on this page contain information to assist you in most aspects of the IRB process, from how to complete the application, to how to compose a consent form. Please familiarize yourself with this information before initiating the IRB process and be sure to visit the Frequently Asked Question link. We look forward to working with you!
A change in Kentucky Records Retention law requires that you retain your research records for 5 years instead of the previous 3 year requirement. Be sure to note this on your IRB application.
IRB APPLICATION FORMS
HELPFUL TIPS AND GUIDES
- Guide for Completing the IRB application (pdf)
- Guide for Developing an Informed Consent (pdf)
- Guide for Developing Recruiting Announcements -- Bulletin Board, Classroom (pdf)
HELPFUL TEMPLATES AND EXAMPLES
- Informed Consent-Teacher Ed. Example (pdf)
- Informed Consent- Teacher Ed. Example 2 (pdf)
- Informed Consent- Anonymous with Interview (pdf)
IRB GENERAL INFORMATION
NURSING IRB INFORMATION
- Advanced Nursing Graduate Studies Research Projects (pdf)
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare (SEH) Reciprocal Agreement Research Information (pdf)
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC) Reciprocal Research Information (pdf)
- The Christ Hospital (TCH) Reciprocal Research Information (pdf)
- What is the estimated turnaround time for an IRB review?
- Where do I submit my IRB for review?
- Who will review my IRB?
- What is CITI Training?
- What documents should be attached to my IRB application?
- Do I need signatures on my revised application being submitted as a reply to reviewer comments?
- How do I make changes to an approved IRB?
- Do I need to use the stamped consent form approved by the IRB?